Spring cleaning is synonymous with organizing. Yes, organizing can be a mind-boggling and tedious task, but in the end you reap the benefits of a tidier space. Often, our kitchen cabinets can be a source of frustration because we often use them as a catchall for many random items. So, tackling this space and providing organization to the area is a step in the right direction.
Desirable Kitchens and Refacing has seen it all during kitchen cabinet refacing projects in Pittsburgh. In order to get your kitchen cabinets organized quickly, we suggest the following tips.
1. As you Remove Items, Sort & Toss – To take proper inventory of the items currently taking up space in your kitchen, remove everything from your cabinets and drawers. You will probably be surprised to find how many like items are taking up different spaces. And more than likely, you will uncover items you never knew you had or that never should have taken up space in your kitchen. As you go through this process, toss any unneeded items and sort all similar items together—pots with pans, pens with office supplies, etc. This process of purging and sorting will help you identify how much kitchen cabinet space is truly needed.
2. Clean Cabinets Thoroughly – Once all of the items have been removed, thoroughly clean inside your kitchen cabinets and drawers. With a simple 50:50 solution of vinegar and water, spray inside the cabinets and drawers and let sit for a few minutes. Wipe with a soft cloth to remove the cleaner. Use a second cloth with water to remove any remaining cleaning and then dry thoroughly with a clean towel.
3. Organize Items by Use and Size – After you have cleaned your kitchen cabinets, it is time to address all of the items you removed earlier. The best way to organize these items is by the following:
Obviously, less used items can be stored in harder to reach cabinets. Pots, pans and lids should be stored close to your stove. Pens, paper and other needed office supplies should be in a quick, easy to access drawer. Store all larger items together, so that smaller items don’t get lost between them. Imagine going through a typical day in your kitchen and store the items in places that make the most sense.
4. Maximize Cabinet Space – Organizing like items will bring order to your cabinets, but the way you return them to their rightful spot may seem like you never even started organizing. Nothing is worse than putting everything away and it looks just as disorganized, or even more, as before. There are a couple ways to avoid this from happening. Making the most of your cabinet shelves will provide you with vertical space in the cabinet that you may have left unused. Consider using space saver accessories, such as spice racks, lid organizer or expandable shelves, to provide more storage.
5. Hire a Professional – If you are still unable to achieve the organization in your kitchen cabinets that you had hoped for, consider hiring a professional. Cabinet refacing companies, like Desirable Kitchens and Refacing in Pittsburgh, can offer you space saving solutions for your cabinets. If your kitchen cabinets are in good condition and the cabinet boxes are sturdy, consider installing pull out drawers, lazy susans or additional shelving.
Call Desirable Kitchens & Refacing at 412-515-0582 for a free consultation. Our knowledgeable team will present the best options available to organize your kitchen cabinets. We pride ourselves on having the right solution for every customer – every time!